Cookies policy

In order to provide you with the best online experience this website uses cookies.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Friday,  May 24, 2024 4:18 AM 

CBSA shares tips for smooth travel during U.S. Thanksgiving, Black Friday weekend

  • Buzz
  •   11-22-2023  6:44 am
  •   Pax Global Media

CBSA shares tips for smooth travel during U.S. Thanksgiving, Black Friday weekend
(File photo/Unsplash)
Pax Global Media

The upcoming Black Friday and U.S. Thanksgiving weekend is a busy time at the border, and the Canada Border Services (CBSA) is sharing its tips that people should know before they go.. 

 In 2022, CBSA facilitated the arrival of over 60 million travellers, the agency said in a press release. 

The CBSA says it also invests "significant effort" in planning and preparing for peak periods. 

"We monitor traveller volumes and work hard to minimize border wait times at ports of entry, including international airports, without compromising safety and security," the agency says. 

For a smoother trip, the CBSA says travellers should:  

  • Plan ahead and check the border wait times web page. Travellers crossing the border by land are encouraged to cross during non-peak hours such as early morning. The Monday of holiday long weekends tends to be the busiest – pick another day to cross the border if you can. Also, it's always best to check the official CBSA Directory of Offices and Services for a port of entry's hours of operation.
  • Know exemption limits. Returning residents who make purchases or pick up online purchases outside of Canada should be aware of their personal exemption limits. Use the CBSA duty and taxes estimator to help calculate your monies owed.
  • Have travel documents handy. Whether travelling by land, air or water, you can help speed things up by coming prepared with your travel documents.
  • Be prepared to declare. All travellers must declare their goods upon entry into Canada. For returning residents, have your receipts readily available for goods purchased or received while outside of Canada.
  • Save time with Advance Declaration. If you are flying in to the Toronto, Vancouver, Montréal, Winnipeg, Halifax, Québec City, Ottawa, Billy Bishop, Calgary and Edmonton international airports, you can make your customs and immigration declaration up to 72 hours in advance of your arrival. Using Advance Declaration gives you access to express lanes to get to an airport kiosk or eGate faster.
  • Declare any foods, plants, or animalsConsult the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website before bringing any food, plant, and animal products into Canada.
  • Bringing turkey across the border? Poultry products must be retail packaged, for human consumption, and labelled as a "Product of the USA". Homemade food or leftovers containing poultry cannot be brought into Canada. Check the latest Information for travellers: Restrictions on poultry and birds from the United States before bringing these products across the border.
    When travelling with children, it is recommended that the accompanying adult have a consent letter authorizing them to travel with the child if they share custody or are not the parent or legal guardian. Border services officers are always watching for missing children, and in the absence of the letter, officers may ask additional questions.
  • Cannabis: Don't bring it in. Don't take it out. Bringing cannabis across the border in any form, including oils containing tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) or cannabidiol (CBD), without a permit or exemption authorized by Health Canada is a serious criminal offence subject to arrest and prosecution, despite the legalization of cannabis in Canada. A medical prescription from a doctor does not count as Health Canada authorization.
  • Boaters planning to travel in or near Canadian waters, or enter Canada by boat should review Reporting requirements for private boaters before making travel plans. All travellers entering Canada by boat must report to the CBSA without delay.
  • If you are travelling with a pet or planning to import an animal into Canada, you will need the right paperwork at the border to meet Canada's import requirements.
  • Not sure? Ask a border services officer. "The best thing you can do to save time is to be open and honest with the CBSA officer. If you are not sure about what to declare, don't hesitate to ask. Our officers are here to help!" the CBSA says. 

Don't miss a single travel story: subscribe to PAX today!  Click here to follow PAX on Facebook.